Monday, May 21, 2012

white knuckles in the middle of the desert.

it was a long drive from the city to the bush. miles upon miles of desert. rocks. dirt. repeat.

i talked some. but some of the time i found myself quiet. sitting. staring. wondering what this whole thing could turn into.

{don't panic yet. wait it out, sweet people. keep reading.}

days spent in the bush. alone to talk with our Daddy. to see what His plan is for this place i call home. and it turned into something i wasn't expecting.

He shook me up.

He. shook. me. up.

i mean...let's be real...i am already shaken. stirred. all that jazz. i mean for Pete's sake....i am living in Africa.

but here is the deal.

i live here with white knuckles. it's a regular occurence in my life. probably in yours too.

we know He has control. He writes the story. but goodness...i like to hold on to what i THINK should happen. where i THINK i should go. how long i THINK i should be there.

He loosened my grip. held my hand. and eased my fears. all in the middle of the desert.
but not without standing firm in His endearing, stern Daddy voice...the one that makes me stand at attention and not question His plans.

so i am sure of a few things. He is good. His plans for me are good. Africa has STOLEN my heart. the Somali people...are for me to love.

so i will come home. for a while. {no freaking out, please}. spend time with family. get a big girl job. spend every waking moment with people i love more than life.

learn to drive a stick.
look at somali. prepare to learn it once i get back somewhere.
get credentials.

i am confident that He has it together.

 and that means my no running water needed, Africa loving, baby holding, moutain climbing man of a husband too. Africa has made my prayers for him increase to new heights. and i am pretty sure he is a baller.

so a long blog post to say what could be said in a sentence.

He writes beautiful stories. sends us to perfect places. lets us love an imperfect people. and helps losen our grip in the middle of a dry land.

mungu ni muema.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Well my friend..you seem so wise beyond your years. I love your blog, I wish I could just sit down with you in the desert and chat..walk those streets you are walking...maybe one day. Keep listening to the Lord, he loves you..he has big plans for you.. the best is yet to come. Wonder what awaits you here.. or there... or here.... it will be amazing no doubt. I'm sure you have no idea how many people's lives you are touching through Him.. me for one.

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Keep doing good sister...Love you!

jaye bice said...

Oh Sweet IB...how we long for the day you come home and learn to drive :). I'll even teach you. I love what our Daddy is doing in your life...even more, I love what He's doing in the lives of people you left behind. They are watching you from across the world and talking about your leap of faith daily. They are strengthened by your courage and beam when they mention Djibouti. Can't wait to hug you and hear all about this experience. Yarping daily my friend. I Love You.

Jenna Lane said...

Ooooooh Ivy. You kill me. With chillbumps and a heightened sense of faith. I love what you're doing. But more importantly, I love WHO you're doing it for. Keep on keepin' on! Ahh, love this. You know I love me some Africa. Hey do me favor, why don't ya... run on over to Burkina Faso and pick up my baby girl Odette for me. Tell her I sent you. K, thanks :D

Shanna Scott said...

love and miss you Ah-vey! Love watching your journey. Even if from afar. Your mama sent me a picture of you and Ab and a little boy the other day from your grad/going away party. Can't wait to see you!

Deena Safari said...

What a profound post. Wow, just wow. I wish I could be more like you.