Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Romeo.

one of my biggest fears before I came wasn't that I would be injured. or kidnapped. or killed even. I didn't really concern myself with how dirt I would be all hours of the day or the fact that I wouldn't have a lot of water. but I did worry about coming in vain.

coming across the world for no reason. for no purpose. leaving without one life changed. without hope given to at least one. just one little life is worth it all.

well, our Daddy takes care of these things. He is the only one who can. and He knows my love language unlike any other. and He speaks it everyday.

today that love language and easing of fear came after a day of relying completely on Him. long hours spent wishing I was home. in my bed. in my house. in my comfort zone. with air conditioning and good clean water. He didn't give me those things but He was here with me the whole time. and that was evident. through a tear stained pillow. phone calls from home. and verses that reassured me that "my sweet darling, it is just for a little while." that little while felt like forever. and I am still getting over a bacteria/water/stomach issue that only Africa could deliver so horribly. but He is here. He was here. and He will be here. even when the moments of "uh, what did I get mysef into?" arise again.

so today was a day of faking the happiness. acting like I was feeling AWESOME while teaching. smiling at every person I see, because I believe that is a little way He eases in to shine. and it may be a way He eases me into their hearts. into a place where He can take control.

I have 18 students. most of them show up everyday. and they are all precious. but there are a few who have stolen my heart. Amal is one of those. her english is very good but she wanted a class with her peers. and she has picked up quite the uh, may I say....Ivy accent. today she could not come to class. so she sent a note by a classmate that read.

"Dear Ivy,
I'm Amal. I want to tell you I can't come this afternoon at class because I have some problem in my home and I have a problem in me. You can't understand because you are not in my heart but please give me a little time to arrange my problems. Thank you too much. Amal"

oh, my heart. how precious is that. maybe I am just reading into this...but I know someone who likes to start working on broken pieces...putting them back together. nzambe malamu.

I went to check on her at the store. she is well. smiling like always. and said she will talk my with me tomorrow about her problem. loving on them is my favorite part of teaching. FAVORITE part.

as I left the school and headed for the "french" side of town. I get to be a little more at ease .take off my veil. which feels awesome after a fever and temps way above 102. my kiddos usually recoginize me in my hood. of course...hojo ivy. but today they were on the wrong side of town. but that did not stop them. running. screaming. clapping. the whole nine yards in the middle of downtown. it was a parade of sorts. overwhelmed? yes. tickled? yes.

now, I do not speak Somali or Afar. (but I will soon. even if that means studying in the 229) so our language barrier means I dance, I smile, I laugh, they laugh, they point, I look, we high five. we act like we could understand each other, but we can't. it's really the coolest thing I have ever experienced.

I might have taught one of them the slick hand move where you slide it on your hair...grease style....when somone goes to shake your hand. he pulled it on me today. and laughed so hard he fell down. then there is Romeo. who after seeing his friend's move, he took my hand and kissed it. then kissed my other hand. then my first hand again. he got a little carried away. and giggled the whole time. then said thanks, hojo ivy. my heart.

these are some everyday evidences that He indeed is working among me. stirring up a revolution, one of love, compassion, mercy, and hope. let's believe in that HOPE. for He is able.

shine on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shine like a bright star, just the way our G made you. I love you
bunches!!Mama

Anonymous said...

Oh! Little Ivy! I say your name as I read your mama's tiny comment and my eyes swell with tears. Then I get a picture of ivy. The plant. I have some ivy growing in various parts of my yard, some in containers and some in gardens. The thing about ivy that I've been made aware of is it's ability to produce and grow and maintain beauty in places that have been neglected. I have one plant that is thriving. I haven't watered it or fed it or given it any luxurious item to cause it to thrive. It is a beauty, and is thriving on what is provided to it by it's ultimate maker. The reward is given to me. I get to enjoy it's beauty and at the moment marvel at it's survival despite my not making it comfortable. It will get its reward. It will be pruned and those pieces I will take and lovingly plant in other places and may even give some to others who need them. Then I will take the mother plant, pot her in a beautiful place and take exatravagant care of her.
You, Little Ivy, will get your reward.

Praying for you,
Stephanie Phillips

Shanna Scott said...

love stephanie's comment and your mama's and love you ivy!

JacobK said...

I am truly astounded at the things you are doing for His good, Ivy. It must take a huge amount of faith to leave your own home and go to a country to teach other people. I can tell from just the numerous posts and pictures that you have such a loving, caring heart for these kids. Who would have thought that on a mission trip I took last summer I would meet a missionary who would go to Africa?! That is so cool. Anyway, my family and I will continue to pray for you :)
From, Jacob Kimmig (that Ocala kid)

Pris Petersen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.